When you’re building or renovating, it can feel like there’s SO MUCH to do. There is so much to know. There are so many decisions and tasks and things to do that it can be hard to know where to start.
First things first, research. You need to know and have a basic understanding of at least some of the processes in order to effectively communicate your wants and needs to your partner and your contractor.
But don’t worry—I have your back! Here are some of our favorite places to find information, resources, and ideas when you’re building or renovating and some tips to make it easier:
- Ask People You Trust: We all have people in our lives who are smarter (or at least think they are) than us in certain areas, whether that’s construction, design, or plumbing (or hopefully all three). Don’t be afraid to ask these folks for advice. I can almost guarantee they’ll be thrilled that you asked!
- Google It: Google can be an incredible resource, especially when it comes to finding out how much things cost and what’s going on in the world of home design. Try searching for blogs about the topic at hand you might find some great ideas this way! But beware: should you see a little fluffy white tail, don’t follow it. Set a time so you don’t end up down a rabbit hole of too much information.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is one of my favorite websites (beware fluffy tail) because it allows me to collect pictures of things I like. I can pin info into one place so I can easily access them when I need inspiration. Besides looking at images of kitchens or bathrooms ( which is always fun), you can also use Pinterest to find ideas and instructions for how to do things. Say you are interested in learning more about kitchens with islands or the latest trends in bathrooms, simply search for those topics on Pinterest and see what comes up! You’ll be amazed at how much valuable information can be found there.
- YouTube: YouTube is another fantastic place to find ideas for your project. You can watch videos of people renovating or building their own homes. You can even search by topic, like, the best way to install a backsplash or design a kitchen. Beware of all the cute kitten and puppy videos. They can be a major research distraction.
- Design Websites: When it comes to home design, specifically kitchens and bathrooms, there are many websites that show beautiful photos and the latest trends. These sites are a good place to start if you want some inspiration before making any major decisions. Remember, many sites are influenced by personal opinion, so take the information with a grain of salt. Use what you like and throw the rest over your shoulder.
- Hire a Professional: If you’re really unsure about what you want, or if you feel the project is too big for you to handle on your own, consider hiring a professional. They can give you advice on materials and installation, as well as help with design decisions that might be beyond your expertise. Remember they spent years learning all the knowledge in their head, you have only had weeks or months to gain a little bit of that knowledge. A professional can save you hours of time and frustration if designing a home or remodeling is not in your wheelhouse.
So, what are you waiting for?
Get out there, get some research done, and get your own home renovation or new home project started!